Many of us in the west have spent our working lives schlepping from our home to an office and back, filled with mundane and repeatable tasks or experiences.
It may be less noticeable for those who live in a big city like New York since every corner you turn is filled with something new or fresh. However, that's only one city in a massive world filled with ripe cultures to experience and diverse people to meet.
For those of us with a sense of adventure and a desire to see what else is out there, the lifestyle of a digital nomad can be very enticing, and you're certainly not alone in that feeling.
To begin a nomadic journey requires adaptability, patience, and some frugalness as starting points, but to get there, you'll need one vital thing - a visa! Many of the most beautiful places in our world have this requirement, especially for more extended nomadic stays. Luckily, you can obtain digital nomad visas to become the adventurer of your dreams.
Enter the Digital Nomad Visa
This visa is designed for people looking to work remotely while filling their desires to travel the world. In some countries, the digital nomad visa is a particular type that allows you to stay for a certain period while you work. In other countries, a regular work visa will enable you to do the same. But each of these comes with unique properties and varies from country to country.
In many cases, these visas typically require you to demonstrate that you have the financial means to support yourself and proof of health insurance. In other scenarios, you may also need to prove that you can work remotely by providing evidence of clients or employers in the country. As you can see, having the correct visa is essential based on the place you're going to. You must exhaustively research the requirements once you choose a place to spend several months in.
The Best Nomad-Friendly Countries
Truthfully, many places you go to in the world can be great destinations as a nomad. But, naturally, this can be a subjective experience that depends on your specific needs or desires. We would be here for days running through all the opportunities out there, so we'll focus on some of the most popular digital nomad destinations, including Thailand, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Portugal.
What makes Thailand, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Portugal special?
How much time do you have? Seriously! These countries, in particular, offer a rich experience for travelers. The cost-friendly nature, incredible accommodations, and prime locations may make you never want to leave! Some of the most popular cities and reasons to stay are:
Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Not only does Chiang Mai have a low cost of living, but there is an abundance of co-working spaces which is a great way to meet people while indulging in the incredible food, beaches, and experiences Thailand offers.
Mexico City, Mexico
- If you're looking for a massive urban experience, then Mexico City may be for you. It has a great mix of culture, food, and historical significance that comes alive through its vibrancy and modern amenities. A thriving digital nomad community has been established, and outstanding nightlife comes with the package too!
San Jose, Costa Rica
- If you're more of an outdoors type that thrives in forests and winds down quickly at the beach, then San Jose is for you! It offers abundant outdoor and beach activities that let you unwind and thrive simultaneously. Not to mention some of the most picturesque scenery to capture and weather to embrace!
- And finally, we have Lisbon, which brings the sense of vibrancy to a whole new level. The culture and nightlife are rich, and there is an established base of digital nomads who curate events and meetups regularly. You'll never feel alone in a city as lovely as Lisbon, and you'll have the added benefit of being a stone's throw from the rest of Europe.
As we mentioned before, each country will have its requirements and visa details. However, you will find that they offer several months to stay and truly experience what they offer, but be warned, you may never want to leave!
- Thailand offers a digital nomad visa that allows you to stay for up to one year. A great way to see Thailand and even explore the other parts of the region. Vietnam, anyone?
- Mexico's digital nomad visa allows you to stay in the country for up to six months, with the possibility of extending your stay for an additional six.
- Costa Rica offers a digital nomad visa that allows you to stay in the country for up to two years. More beach time, please!
- Portugal offers a digital nomad visa that will enable you to remain in the country for up to one year.
Pack Your Bags, Nomad
The benefits of being a digital nomad are numerous. The biggest giving you the freedom to travel the world, explore new places, and experience different cultures.
If you can work remotely and control your own schedule, you can easily sample this lifestyle without giving up your salary or job. Moreover, no matter which city you choose, you can satisfy your sense of adventure and wander through each country's unique benefits and attractions.
With the proper research, you can find the perfect destination for your journey. We hope this gets the ball rolling in your mind and if you decide to jump on the next plane out, be sure to share your experience of freedom and adventure with us!